Sunday, May 3, 2009

Text relationships

So not too long ago I went out to a lounge. I went with the girls, with no intention of meeting anyone. Although what single girl can honestly say the thought is not running around in the back of her head?? Anyway, it was a great night...we spent the majority of our time there drooling over the bartender and enjoying our drinks.

At one point I got up to use the restroom and unfortunately lost my seat at the bar. As I'm standing behind the girls, I guess I looked pissed off (I wasn't, it was just the way I was standing) and a guy approached me and asked if I was doing OK. When I replied with a puzzled look, he said I looked like I wanted to kick someones ass. I laughed and he took that as a green light to talk to me. So we spent some time talking, it ended up he lives in the same city I work in, and he seemed like an okay guy. After a little while he told me he was going to let me get back to my girls, and I did.

We enjoyed some more drinks, and I honestly forgot about the guy. We closed the place down, so as the bouncer is trying to get us all out, the guy comes up to me again. We talk some more and his friend comes up and asks if we exchanged numbers (we hadn't). I respond with a smart ass comment about how he never asked me for mine. The guy whips out his phone and asks. I thought he seemed harmless enough so I gave it to him. He sent me a text right then so I wouldn't forget about him (sounds kind of cute right?)

Anyway, for the next couple of days we sent an absurd amount of texts to each other. We were supposed to meet up, but things didn't work out. So we continued with the text messages. He said all the right things up to a point. Long story short, we are no longer talking...

But it got me to thinking about texting and how much we rely on texting. Don't get me wrong, I love being able to text people...I'm not the biggest fan of phone conversations. It's so much easier and way more time efficient to send a quick message. The funny thing about it is when people try to have those full conversations through texts. Yes I am guilty of it, but it's so ridiculous.

If you have that much to say, call the person! I can't tell you how many times I've heard stories or seen people who argue through texts, a lot of the time I don't think they even started out arguing, but because one person got hurt by a text or took a text the wrong way it turned into an argument or a fight. My question is how can we really know what the person meant through a text? You can't see their face, you can't hear the tone of their voice. We have to rely on caps and exclamations points to express emotions.

So I had a text relationship that lasted about a week before I got irritated with the fact that this dude couldn't pick up the phone and actually call me. Again, I love texting...but there's definitely a time and a place for it.

My next topic to come shortly, that coincides with this post is...How comfortable is too comfortable?? Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment