Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Writer's Block

As I sit here, I am struggling to get my thoughts out. I tried sitting with my little notebook and just started writing, but nothing made much sense. I have so many ideas swirling through my head, but can't seem to put them on paper.

Random thoughts pop into my head and are gone just as fast as they appeared. Maybe I'm trying to hard. The harder I think about it, the faster my thoughts escape me.

The only other time I experienced writer's block was when I was taking English and writing classes. I had my topic, but it took time for me to get anything down. So now that I have no specific topic to discuss, it's extremely difficult to even know where to start.

So bear with this current post. It will simply be my random thoughts and ideas coming out of me naturally...hopefully some topic with spark my interest and this will end up being a piece of good writing or relevant...doubtful.

Here I go:


My itunes playlist is always on shuffle, which means I listen to a smooth, sensual R & B ballad, then I hear an upbeat Reggaeton track, then maybe some country...I even have some classical Spanish guitar on there...it causes so many different thoughts and emotions to come up. Right now Amerie's "I just died" is on...if you haven't heard the song before, listen to it. It's one of my personal favorites...Music serves as a great inspiration...random little story ideas appear in my mind after listening to music.

I'm even trying to learn how to play the guitar now...it's been a challenge. I can play happy birthday and a few chords of some song my brother taught me. I'm progressing much slower than I'd like...but that's probably my lack of time to dedicate to just playing. The same way I've tried to dedicate some time to writing and reading, I have yet to set aside time for my guitar.

I started working on a story a while back...I put it aside because I started to lose interest in my characters, but lately they have been slowly sneaking back into my thoughts...hopefully one of these days I'll be struck with some kind of inspiration to continue their story.

I guess this blog is exhibit A for why I never seem to finish my thoughts and certain tasks. I get distracted and start something else. I started my story, then decided to take up the guitar, and now I'm slowly going back to the writing. I guess it all comes down to balance...finding a way to do everything with the time I'm given.

New goal: set aside time for all the things I want to get better at. I'm not going to get better by thinking or talking about practicing, but actually doing it...

No comments:

Post a Comment