Sunday, March 22, 2009

People Watching

I have always loved to people watch.

No, I'm not some kind of peeping Tom or stalker. People have just always interested me. I've always wondered why we do and say certain things, why we act the way that we do.

Well today I was sitting in mass, and (Lord forgive me) I was bored, so I started to look around. It's amazing the different kinds of people you can see in church on any given Sunday. There are people of all ages, families, couples, people there alone, the "regulars" and the ones with a guilty conscience who are there asking for forgiveness. Today I happened to notice the women in church.

Now, when I go to church, I don't put on my "Sunday best." I normally go in jeans and a shirt. I have moved up from sneakers to cute flats or maybe even some cute boots, but I usually opt for comfortable and casual as opposed to the dress or skirt and heels. Today as I was looking around and I saw so many parishioners dressed so nicely, I started to wonder if I should dress up more.

Then it hit me...Just like all the different kinds of people who are there in church every Sunday, God loves us no matter what we look like. So is dressing up in a dress and heels going to make Him love me anymore? I highly doubt it. I mean no disrespect to the people who do dress in their "Sunday best." I actually admire them, they obviously take the time every morning to really get ready and put a lot of thought into their wardrobe.

For me, that time is normally spent doing something more productive, like reading or writing, or just enjoying the beautiful day God has blessed me with. I know this is a completely random thought, but I've been thinking about it pretty much all day.

When it all comes down to it, I will always keep the same belief in my heart...as long as I am leading my life in a positive and healthy way and have good intentions and love in my heart, God will love me no matter what I happen to be wearing, and when I make a mistake and lose my way, He will be there to forgive me and love me.

No comments:

Post a Comment