Monday, December 21, 2009

Swallow My Pride

I'm not sure why I believed you'd call.
I sat by the phone for a good part of my day,
Trying to come up with the right words to say.
We went so long without even a text,
So what did I expect.

Maybe you forgot,
Maybe you just don't care,
But whatever your excuse,
It's just not fair.

I opened my heart to you
And this is what you do.

I know that the situation won't change,
So from now on I won't say a word
Because you already have a girl,
And I'm not the kind of girl who will stay,
When I know I need to walk away.

Part of me knew it was wrong.
I knew it all along,
It's just not meant to be
And I honestly just want you to be happy.

So just like before,
I'll swallow my pride,
I'll never ask for more
And put all these feelings aside.

I will pretend like you never said a thing,
When you start to hear those wedding bells ring,
I'll be there with a big smile on my face.

Sorry to have caused any extra stress,
I know I was a mess.
It's hard to hide from those deep old feelings,
Even when digging them up won't change a thing.

So just like before,
I'm swallowing my pride,
Never asking for more,
And burying those feelings deeper inside.

I've got them under lock and key,
And that's where they'll stay as long as you are happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment