Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Karma

Here is my random thought for the day...well if you know me, it's not that random.

I'm a firm believer in karma...the idea that what goes around comes around.

Last night I went out and a guy asked me if I'd be nice enough to watch his jacket while he went outside for a smoke. I said it wasn't a problem, I'd just keep it for him on the chair. Well dude never really came back. I saw him walk back inside the bar, but he didn't stop...I figured he'd come back when he remembered...time passed, and nothing. I was tired and ready to go, so I was extremely conflicted. It was a nice jacket, I could have easily walked out with it...but being the person I am, it felt wrong. So I decided to take a lap around the bar to see if I could find the guy. I walked the whole place twice, and nothing. As I approach our table the girls say he walked outside, so I decide to leave the jacket with them and they can give it back.

Another little nugget of information for you, there also happened to be cash in the pockets...cash that mysteriously fell out of the jacket and into the pocket of one of my friends. As we walk out of the bar I see him outside and we were parked in the opposite direction, but after a few steps something inside me was screaming. So I told my friend we had to give the money back. That it was the right thing to do....so we turn around and go up to him and hand him the money, now dude was drunk, and was having a hard time standing on his own...but his friend was nice enough to say thank you and was genuinely surprised that we gave the money back...then complimented us on how nice we are for a couple of minutes before we left....

I walked away with a good feeling. I was proud of myself for giving it back and a bit embarrassed that I had considered not giving the jacket and money back. I'm hoping that this will work out in my favor in the near future...if not, it's still OK, because I know I did the right and responsible thing. It would have been easy to just walk out with everything, but it took a lot more to actually walk back.

Anyway, everything happens for a reason...so we'll see what happens next!!

1 comment: