Thursday, January 1, 2009

A Brand New Day

I was inspired to start my own blog by this intense feeling that it was the perfect thing to do at this point in time. The fact that words flow so much easier sometimes with the stroke of a pen or by striking the keys on a keyboard was an idea that rings very true in my life. For as long as I can remember I’ve always been able to write my feelings much easier than I was able to verbalize them. As I have grown up and learned and experienced life, I have learned to verbalize my thoughts and emotions much more eloquently, but there is some sort of comfort and therapy involved in writing everything down.

So the beginning of a new day and a new year comes with a new way for me to express myself. This blog will feature my own personal thoughts as well as some poetry and short stories. A lifetime goal of mine has been to be published. I figured this was as good a start as any.

2008 was not my best year. Fresh out of college, I felt lost. Part of my year was spent searching for my next step, and still doing a little bit of soul searching. Go back to school? Find a job? Travel? I was lost, and by spring I found a job and have since started to slowly realize that I am on the right path, but not even close to my final destination. I still have every intention to go back to school. I will not be at this job forever, but it has opened my eyes and shown me a lot of things I otherwise never would have seen.

I’m not one for making New Year’s resolutions. They have never really been my thing. The times I made them I never kept them, and the other years I never really bothered to make any. I am not making any this year, but I have decided that I’m tired of sitting back and waiting for life to happen. It is time to make it happen for myself. Yes, at the age of 23, you would have thought I would have realized this already, but hey, some of us take a little while longer than others.

I’ve realized that most of the things I didn’t like about 2008 are things I could have easily changed myself. All those restless, lonely nights where I felt more alone than you might imagine, could have been solved with a simple phone call, but that stubborn side of me waited for the phone to ring instead of picking it up myself.

I’m ready for 2009 and all it has to offer.

Quote to think about:
“A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.”
-Lao Tsu

No comments:

Post a Comment