Thursday, January 8, 2009

Disney rant

Ok, so let me start by saying I am a Disney kid. I grew up watching Disney movies, reading Disney books. One of my favorite places is Disneyland, and I love Disneyworld too.

But, with age, I have noticed some patterns in all the classic Disney movies, the ones I fell in love with as a young girl. Maybe I'm pulling the Bitter Betty card, but being a young single female who has been hurt by more than one boy (I'm not going to even call them men), I got to thinking about all those Disney princesses.

We are all looking for our happily ever after...whatever that may entail is different for everyone, but if you look at pretty much every Disney princess, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Cinderella, the Little Mermaid, Belle, Jasmine, even Mulan, how did each of those movies end? What was their fairy tale ending?

They found a man!!

They didn't become successful, independent women (and yes I realize they are cartoons and they are all set in different times) but they found their prince and that was the end of their story. Now I have to admit, I always liked Mulan because she seemed to be the independent woman, just trying to help her family...she wasn't looking for love, but it found her. She was the opposite of the damsel in distress. I always liked that.

Again, let me repeat, I love Disney movies, but being older, I can watch them and take them for what they are, entertainment. But what about the young girls who watch them, the girl I once was? They watch and see these women who's dreams are finally fulfilled when they find a man to love them! I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. But what kind of message are we sending to our young girls? We're telling them that they won't be truly happy and have their fairy tale ending, their happily ever after unless they have a man??

Lord knows I want to find that man who respects me and loves me and someone I can love and respect in return. But I know that I don't need a man to make me happy.

Maybe this is just my bitter rant because I haven't met my "prince charming." I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to find him one day, but my story will definately not end once I find him(if I find him). I want to be my own woman, make a name for myself, and there's nothing wrong with wanting to share that with someone. I just refuse to let that someone be all I strive to acheive in life.

Ahhh...my feminist side has shown itself...I'm not a man-hater, trust me. Maybe it's just the fact that I have yet to meet the man who has made me want to live my life for him. I am very doubtful he even exists, but who knows...maybe there are some good ones left out there who are worth my time...only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment